Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What would Jesus do? (Post to Liz)

I don’t know how it feels like to come back to church, because I never really left it. But I guess it would be something like what the prodigal son felt when his father ran down the road to embrace him back to the household. If somebody asks me to describe Christianity in two stories, I would tell the parables of the Prodigal Son and the Good Samaritan. I think Christianity (and Church) is not about rules and dogmas, but about forgiveness and compassion. I couldn’t agree more with you that the real question of pluralism is how to glorify God better. Second century saint Iraneus (I’m not sure of the spelling nor of the date) said that the glory of God is man (and woman) fully alive. The question is what Jesus would do to make people of this generation fully alive. Would he encourage making more narrow walls of division or would he tell more stories about forgiveness and compassion? The answer is quite clear for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment