Saturday, October 31, 2009

Being orthodox, legalistic, ridiculous!

Yesterday in the crisis intervention class, one of the hot topics for discussion was around spiritual traditions. There are so many spiritual traditions around, and to think that there are so many people benefiting from many of them is amazing. Many of these run counter to my own professed beliefs. Can a Christian believe in Shaman, for example?
Well, I have ridiculed Christians who go to tarot card readers and astrologers. I would think it funny when I see people coming for communion with so many rings with colorful stones on their fingers. But somehow I don't have the same reaction to those who believe in reincarnation or karma theory. I think what matters most for me is whether there is a consistency in your belief.
During the lunch break, over a slice of pizza at the students lounge, I had a good discussion with Christoph about meaning and significance of these rituals. The immediate stimulus was Crissy's faith in Shaman, but the background is our ongoing discussion about my lack of regard for the laws of the church about rituals and rules about liturgy. I was trying to tell him, how, for me, the experience of a person is something unquestionable. Something may go against my logic and reason, but I am still willing to give it a try.
While we were discussing this, Crissy herself joined us and shared with us her own experience of meeting this Shaman. It was surely a tough decision for her and completely against her own reasoning, but the result was completely stunning. If you know the tree from its fruits, she has no reason to reject Shamanism as illogical. Well, what can we say?
Christoph's point is valid. How can I, as a Catholic priest, subscribe to things that go against the teachings of the church? Well, I don't go against the church teachings, but I do believe that there is wisdom and truth even beyond the boundaries of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment