Sunday, October 4, 2009

Feast of Francis Assissi

Today is the feast of St Francis Assissi. At the mass in the morning I said this: I started my journey into priesthood as a diocesan. Then I read the story of Ignatius Loyola and fell in love with him and joined the Jesuits. Later I read a book about Francis Assissi, and I thought, if I had read this before I read about Ignatius, I would have joined the Fransiscans. All laughed.
Well, what I read about Francis was not really a book, but some reflections by Boby Jose in a Malayalam book about the book, "God's Pauper". Those stories were fantastic. Then I watched a couple of movies, "Brother Sun Sister Moon" by Zeferreli and "Clare and Francis". Both these have influenced me tremendously. I would recommend these to those who are looking for a spirituality to live.
Francis was surely a man ahead of his times. He understood the value of humility and simplicity. His love for the poor was not just romantic, but very practical. As Arrupe said, what is easier than falling in love with God. Well, we don't find it so very easy because we are too caught up in our small ego struggles. Francis fell in love with God. And he realised that only one thing was necessary. He chose the best part, and it was never taken from him.
I wish I could be a romantic like Francis. To throw myself into the arms of God with complete abandonment. That is spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment